TIPS FOR SOCIAL JUSTICE
Reading Time: 2 minutes
Under social justice topic, candidates are expected to be aware of the different government policies and programs particularly of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Ministry of Women and Child Development, Ministry of Minority Affairs etc. The various stakeholders in the development industry such as SHGs, NGOs etc and other issues relating to health, education, poverty, hunger etc. are also to be studied.
To help few tips have been provided below.
- IGNOU MPS-003 India Democracy and Development
- IGNOU EPA-03 Development Administration
- Social Problems in India by Ram Ahuja
- Indian Polity by M Laxmikanth
- India Yearbook
- Government websites
How to Study?
- Candidates should get basic understanding on the topic by reading the basic books IGNOU MPS-003 India Democracy and Development and IGNOU EPA-03 Development Administration.
- They should keep themselves informed about the different government policies and welfare programmed. It is important that candidates know not only the key feature of the policies but also why it was initiated, how its performances have been and how improvements can be made. Special attention should be paid to newly launched welfare programs and welfare programs which have been in the news.
- While reading newspaper and magazines, candidates are advised to note down case studies which can be cited in their answers. For example, the news that Orissa government decided to include transgender community under National Food Security Act should be noted down.
- Candidates should practice answer writing of previous year questions. Only with practice will candidates be able to write analytical and insightful answers in the actual exam.
In the Exam
While attempting the questions related to social justice in the UPSC IAS Main Civil Services Exam, candidates should try to write analytical instead of factual answers. Facts should always be followed by an analysis. Moreover, candidates should try to make the answer current-oriented. Answers with adequate current examples shows the general awareness of the candidate as well as the ability to relate what is read in books to actual events. Candidates should also bring out the values of the constitution in their answers such as social and economic justice as well as relate it to the directive principles etc.